Post contains my affiliate links to purchase the items needed.
Drawing and writing with chalk is a great way for your kids to express themselves. Whether you have a chalkboard or use the driveway, use this sidewalk chalk recipe for hours of creative fun.
It’s not just for kids. Show off your own talent, or lack of, and get in on the fun!
DIY sidewalk chalk ingredients
Scroll down to purchase ingredients on Amazon.
- First, find a mold for your chalk. Anything from a toilet tissue roll or small paper cup to fancy candy molds will work.
- Plaster of Paris. You can buy this in any home improvement store, Amazon or Walmart.
- Any colors of powdered tempera paint.
How to make sidewalk chalk
- Mix together 1 cup of Plaster of Paris with 1 cup of water.
- Add color to your mixture using powdered tempera paint. Experiment with making swirled colors by adding the paint and stirring very little. Blend well and let stand for a few minutes.
- Pour your mixture into the molds you chose. Set aside and let dry completely. Drying time can take from several hours to a few days depending on the size of the mold you chose the climate.
- Once dry you can remove your chalk from the mold. Set it aside to dry for approximately 24 hours more
- Have fun creating masterpieces!