Drawing and writing with chalk is a great way for your kids to express themselves. Whether you have a chalkboard or use the driveway, use this sidewalk chalk recipe for hours of creative fun.
It’s not just for kids. Show off your own talent, or lack of, and get in on the fun!
DIY sidewalk chalk ingredients
- First, find a mold for your chalk. Anything from a toilet tissue roll or small paper cup to fancy candy molds will work.
- Plaster of Paris. You can buy this in any home improvement store, Amazon or Walmart.
- Any colors of powdered tempera paint.
How to make sidewalk chalk
- Mix together 1 cup of Plaster of Paris with 1 cup of water.
- Add color to your mixture using powdered tempera paint. Experiment with making swirled colors by adding the paint and stirring very little. Blend well and let stand for a few minutes.
- Pour your mixture into the molds you chose. Set aside and let dry completely. Drying time can take from several hours to a few days depending on the size of the mold you chose the climate.
- Once dry you can remove your chalk from the mold. Set it aside to dry for approximately 24 hours more
- Have fun creating masterpieces!
That sounds so easy! Might have to try this
My kids used to love writing on the sidewalk with chalk. Thanks for sharing the recipe on MM. Pinned.
thanks for this! I’d love to do this project 🙂
Best idea of the day! Love this! 🙂
This looks neat and fairly simple; might have to try it with my son!
Kathleen Bailey says
Wow that’s a lot easier than I thought it would be! Maybe I’ll make chalk with my Brownie unit this year in the Spring.
Shauna S. says
I’m so excited you posted this. I have always wanted to know how to make chalk. I love the fact that I can now do this with my kiddos.
This would be a really fun thing to do with my mommy group. ANd this kids would love drawing with them after having part in making them!
Kelli A says
I think this would be a great activity to add to our Halloween party with some halloween molds, or even Easter! Love this idea and didn’t realize making chalk could be this simple!! How cool!
Lois Alter Mark says
What a great idea! My kids used to love drawing all over the sidewalk with colored chalk. I had no idea we could actually make our own!
Lisa Jones` says
This Is Awesome & So Easy To Make My Girls Are Going To Love Mommy For This One I Can’t Wait To Try This Thank You!
Heather Lawrence says
My kids love sidewalk chalk.
Actually that might be a little bit of an understatements.
We go thru at least two buckets each summer.
I am going to save some toilet paper rolls and make our own!
Jessica Beal Harlow says
We bought a new house in March and one of things we were most excited about was having a paved driveway! lol It’s great for so many reasons, one being the kids get to use chalk any time! Having a dirt driveway always made them frustrated! This is a great recipe so we’ll never run out! Thanks!