Our little ones at home love playing and creating with play dough. It’s one of the few activities they’ll sit with for more than 15 minutes (they’re 3 and 4 years old).
It has a calming effect on Landen (3.5 years old) and helps him focus on one thing at a time. Loralye (4.5 years old) has been getting very creative lately and uses it to make things like pizza and flowers.
Make Your Own Play Dough
Before you buy more play dough at the store, try making it at home! This recipe will make two batches of smooth play dough for hours of fun.
What you need
- Hawaiian Punch Singles To Go in Polar Blast and Green Berry Smash
- Can of white frosting
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- Neon blue and regular green food coloring
- Add half the can of frosting to a mixing bowl.
- Add one packet of Hawaiian Punch Polar Blast powder drink mix to the frosting.
- Add four drops of neon blue food color, more if you want brighter slime.
- Start adding in powder sugar 1/4 cup at a time and mixing in until slime is no longer sticky. Roughly 3 – 3
1/2 cups of powder sugar.
- Repeat in a new mixing bowl with the other half of the frosting, using the Green Berry Smash drink mix
and the green food coloring
It couldn’t be easier! If you make it at home, let me know how it came out.
I mentioned how playdough and slime will sometimes calm Landen down and satisfy his need to use his hands. Kim from Team Cartwright published an excellent post about the benefits of sensory play.